November 18, 2006

Latvia's Independence Day

Today it's the Independence Day of Latvia.



Dievs, svētī Latviju,
Mūs' dārgo tēviju,
Svētī jel Latviju,
Ak, svētī jel to!

Kur latvju meitas zied,
Kur latvju dēli dzied,
Laid mums tur laimē diet,
Mūs' Latvijā!


I'm proud to be a 1/8 Latvian (The modern English language does not distinguish anymore between Latvian and Lettish. All this bloody "political correctness":) ).

So sorry that my relation with this beautiful Fairyland will probably only shrink by the time. My Latvian relatives are very far and their younger generation, my brother and sister I never met, won't be so eager to keep contact with us "Russians". And it's such a pity that with my Russian passport I need a visa to go to almost all European countries, including Latvia, the land of my forefathers.

I've only got some good old AIESEC-friends there I can visit. And the old cementary in the village Ķuļciems, where almost all the graves have my mother's maiden name.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your latvian 1/8 and also for the blog! You can be sure that i'll check it more often than the russian one ;)
Btw, though not genetically linked, don't forget that you also have a family in Galicia!

ac said...

Thanks ))

YOU remember too that you have an obligation to come to Moscow! ))

E.g. a freezy and snowy New Year would be a great experience! Won't be possible this time - but think about NY 2008 ;)