December 7, 2006

Multilinguism and no schizophrenia :)

Was it Goethe who said that you are as many times a person, as many languages you speak?

That's indeed my case, my life is - how do you say it? - quatrolingual! Most verbal communication and information inflow is, obviously, in Russian. Workpapers are prepared and ACA is studied in English. Most news and blogs read and a minor part of verbal communication is in Belarusian. Also there is a certain amount of thinking in German - mostly when I am tired or in a bad mood and want to isolate myself from the surrounding. And moreover, I have omitted the Ukrainian language in my life - I even started a blog in the language, but do not update it too often.

Amazing that it really is so that you are each time a different person depending on the language you currently think/speak. Every language with its own grammar sets its own scheme of structuring thoughts and the way thoughts flow and come to the mind. Different words, different vowels and consonants create different emotions and associations and give a different path to the thinking process. The whole really gives you a new viewpoint, and I often find myself thinking on a problem switching from language to language in my mind. Language is indeed an important factor forming the national mentality - and that itself is primarily formed by mentality.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

chacha, i enjoy this blog so much! i find most of my thoughts here! i was recently re-calling my russian xp and i realized that the moment i started speaking and understanding what are the things lying benesth the russian words i started to better understand russians and life in russia.
i've been missing u! hugs from foggy sofia,
Ira

ac said...

I'm so glad you like it! :))

Sorry for me still spoiling it with a little politics ;))

You know, in the last days I listen much to US and UK radios, read much in English - and I really do feel different and start seeing some things around me differently.

Might be interesting to make a think-only-in-Russian-day some day )))